Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Rules

I have spent time over the summer reading blogs and books about transferring your class into a game. The book I used to assist me in rewriting my syllabus from a traditional class into a more game-like class was Lee Sheldon's "The Multiplayer Classroom." I have tried to make my syllabus visually more appealing to my students by using colors and sections for the course details. I attached the original syllabus below.


After reading the Sheldon book, I used his examples and rewrote my syllabus using his syllabi as a model for me to change my course syllabus. You can see the changes below in the files attached. My students seemed to be more engaged on day one as I spoke of the class being treated as a game. The new syllabus is below and I still kept the syllabus colorful to keep the visual learners in mind and also help the other students easily locate the different sections of the class requirements. The old black and white outline is too out of date and boring for today's learners. The new syllabus includes a back story to the course/game and also new grading system. I decided to make each week/level worth 100XP to make the grading process a bit easier.




I am looking forward to seeing if the students decide to actively play the game/class.

1 comment:

  1. Clearly defined expectations in a colorful and eye appealing way. You've set this up with just enough tension creating excitement.

    ReplyDelete